Thursday, February 10, 2011

Listen More Talk Less

For years now, I've been giving myself the pep talk of listen more, talk less. I don't know why I need to do it, but I am constantly telling people my life story. Shut up woman! I always regret it as I'm walking away from conversations realizing I've said too much and don't know anything about the other person's personal life. And now I'm doing it to my kids. It was one thing when they were babies and everyone was sharing the ins and outs of breastfeeding, solid food and the general digestion systems of their babies. But now I'm bemoaning the educational system and my own kids' struggles all the while trying to get myself to shut the f*ck up already. I recognize that it stems from insecurity and wanting to hear that I'm not the only one, or my kid's not the only one. But it has to stop.

2 comments: