Thursday, February 24, 2011

Backyard

My kids don't love playing outside. They require direction, encouragement and often a locked door to stay outside. At our last house we had a playscape. Nothing fancy, but enough to get them out there for an hour at a stretch. We don't have one here. My husband is the King of Mandatory Fun. He rallies the kids for mandatory fun at the playground, on bikes, at the gym, the pool or the treeswing in the front yard. They fight it but often end up having a good time. If it's over 40 degrees you can bet that those kids are going outside and staying outside against their will for hours at a time. They ring the bell, or stand at the glass paneled door and endlessly knock with sad little urchin faces.

His new thing is telling the kids that they should invite all the kids in the neighborhood to come play kickball in my backyard. Kids in 6th grade, kids from around the block, etc. He will not accept that kids are not being raised like that around here. They require drinks and snacks and oftentimes, conversation.. I DO NOT WANT TO ENTERTAIN EVERYONE ELSE'S KIDS.  I want a fence. With a gate that locks. I want my kids to play in the backyard. In the sprinkler. I will make them picnics and popcorn and watermelon and lemonade. And help them build forts out of patio chairs and sheets. Seriously. I don't want to have 11 kids using my bathroom and asking for snacks and drinks and if they can play Wii. Because guess what? That's what's going to happen. This is not our childhood. It's a different ball of wax. I don't need to be responsible for the entire neighborhood. Because that's how it works now. And you know what else, that I don't think is unreasonable? That the adult on duty is at least halfway aware of who and what is on their property at any given time. Seriously. This isn't going to pan out.

Don't get me wrong. I want my kids to be active and want to play outside. I love it when they are content and busy and using their imaginations and healthy little bodies for good old fashioned fun. But seriously.. Come on.

1 comment:

  1. I am with you! I never even have kids over here to play! Can't stand it!

    ReplyDelete