Thursday, February 10, 2011

Hypochondriacs

Two of my three kids are home "sick" from school today. I am a terrible judge of actual sickness if there is no fever or vomitting, and am such a hypochondriac that I tend to give my kids the benefit of the doubt when they say they aren't feeling well in the morning. I am also starting to realize something, that even though my kids get up early, they are not necessarily morning people. I am not a morning person at all. I can say with all honesty that i "don't feel well" every single morning. That is, until I've had my coffee and have had a good half hour to shake my sleep off.

Here's the crappy part. After I give them the go ahead to stay home, I make them regret it, and second guess themselves and threaten to drop them off at school. It's this stupid cycle that I cannot seem to break. It doesn't happen with my son, who only stays home if he's genuinely sick. He does his own thing, quietly and without drama, even with 104 degree fever or vomitting. The girls are my hypochondric clones. Oh my God, I can hear them up there now, during "quiet time".  Blasting Miley Cyrus and giggling and arguing and shouting. We've already done so much schoolwork, that I felt like they needed a break. And I'm frustrated at them and myself.

That said, I am grateful to have these healthy girls home on a sick day. Even though I'm ticked off and feel like I got tricked, I'm so lucky. Today, a friend who's 3 year old is fighting a terrible battle with cancer is having basically a last chance surgery to hopefully save his life. I'm so lucky that the hardest decision I had to make today is whether or not to send them to school. Maybe I should back off a little and just let them be.

No comments:

Post a Comment