Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Math

Trying to help my 4th grader last night with her math homework. Apparently there is something called Base Ten Shorthand that I don't think we ever learned. Also, converting decimals to metric measure, impossible. I had that pit of my stomach feeling that I used to get in middle school and high school, when the math was just too hard to wrap my brain around. And honestly, I think this math is what we learned in 7th grade. Oh, and did I mention that I have a Masters Degree in Elementary Education and am certified to teach this crap? It blows my mind. Last week I had her conference. I love her teacher, but I think the stakes are so high, and the pressure on these teachers is such, that they need to teach above the test. Just to stay at the status quo. Erin is a young 4th grader. There are some kids that were turning 10 before she was turning 9 in her class this year. Legally, she was eligible and I think ready to start kindergarten when the state said she was. The parents that held their kids for an extra year were also within their rights. I don't begrudge them the choice to make decisions based on what was best for their families. What I do resent though is being told that Erin's is a "high" class, meaning that they are performing above grade level. It is also a class of older kids. So she is teaching "up here" ((hand gesture signifying just how high)) and that she is not going to "dumb it down". I should "be glad" that Erin will have had some exposure to it when it is taught next year (AT THE FIFTH GRADE LEVEL WHERE IT BELONGS!!!!!!!). It's apparent that the town, state, and some faceless team who makes the decisions that teaching at grade level is considered "dumbing it down."  So here we go with the cycle of "I'm not good at math" that I'm fairly certain is going to stick with her. I have no problem helping her. I am hands on homework mom. As a former teacher I think it's an important way to reinforce skills and to make sure that they are practicing the skills correctly. We have the extra practice books and know all the websites to hone her skills. This just seems unfair to me. And to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment