Friday, January 14, 2011

What a difference a day makes (a rant)

Yesterday we had a 90 minute delay, which was lovely.. I got up at about 7:45, had coffee, the kids watched tv, Christopher got to play his DS. We have a rule, no DS in the morning. Yesterday we modified the rule with a few exceptions: school mornings when there is a delay and family reunions. The last one was suggested by Christopher. I figured, why not. We parked a block from school and walked in the beautiful morning sunshine, everyone was happy. Two of my kids got invited after school for playdates. Bonus. I let Meghan have a friend over too. They had cookies and milk, colored on a huge cardboard box and played Moxie Girls. Bedtime went swimmingly. Totally a sepia moment.

Today there was no delay. I got up at about 7:40. Do you see where I'm going with this? Went downstairs and served the kids Honey and Nut Morning O's from Whole Foods. Everyone hated it. My kids will eat the knock off Honey Nut Cheerios from anywhere, including the dollar store, but the $4 box didn't cut it. So I dumped the cereal made eggs. Christopher asked me for apple juice. Erin pointed out that there was water all over the table. And the floor. Pouring in from the new windows. Sweet. Christopher asked me for apple juice. The eggs are still cooking. I'm on the phone with the contractor, explaining the situation. He wants to know if it's actually pouring or just dripping. Apple juice. "Well, it's coming in at a fast steady drip --- is that pouring??? I don't know heavy dripping then" Grrrrrrrrrrr. Contractor is on his way. Apple juice. Did I mention that the apple juice is on the counter and we keep the kids' cups in a drawer so that they can self serve. Then I went something like this "OH MY FRICKING GOD GET OFF YOUR LAZY BUTT (yup apparently i'm southern now) AND GET IT FOR YOURSELF. BETTER YET. STAY IN YOUR SEAT. I WILL SERVE YOU BECAUSE APPARENTLY I'M THE SERVANT. GODDDDDDDD"

Then I composed myself, apologized for flipping out and told them, ok let's just get ready for school. The bell is ringing in 6 minutes. Up and at 'em we were out the door and in the car. And stuck behind a school bus with it's hazards on waiting for a child who hadn't even come out of her house yet. We finally zoomed up to school, still with about 5 minutes before the late bell was ringing. Only we were stuck. Jammed for 10+ minutes between 7 foot high snow banks and cars coming from the opposite direction that had already dropped off their kids. My favorite was the woman in front of me who parked her car, threw on her hazards and walked up the street with her kid's bag of snow pants that he had forgotten. Leaving me stranded. FUCK!!!! I yelled it in the car. With all three kids in tow. Finally got around the car and realized that I had no where to park the car to drop the kids off. FUCK!!!!!! I pulled a U turn in the middle of the road. Slammed into one of West Hartford's fancy granite curbs, convinced that I popped my tire. MOTHERFUCKER!!!!! I yelled. Kids still in the car. Christopher is crying because he is going to be late. Erin is silently freaking out because she has 3 tests today. Meghan is remarkably calm. Parked the car. Tire was fine. Phew. Walked the kids up to school upon which Meghan got hysterical (she cries almost every day at drop off) and had to peel her off of me and hand her off to the secretary. Good Lord.

Got home. Put in some laundry. Noticed the basement is leaking from a place that we haven't had problems before. Perfect. Got on the treadmill, listening to Taylor Swift and ran for 35 minutes. Best workout I've had in a long time. Next up... Jersey Shore. Maybe some decaf.

1 comment:

  1. sooo, what's the problem? sounds like you got it all together.

    ReplyDelete