Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Trying to keep writing to find my groove again...

It's been a busy week for us around here. Last Wednesday we defied the odds and pulled off 2 consecutive birthday parties in one day. Rented a bounce house and decided to get our money's worth, checked my sanity at the door. We celebrated Meghan's 6th birthday and Christopher's 8th. It's so weird to me that my youngest is now 6. She's still totally the baby around here. I also would have thought that we would have had a 4th, a surprise, if you will, at this point. But the older they get, the farther away from babyhood, the less realistic it seems. I went shopping for my cousin's baby shower yesterday too. Bought the baby girl 2 of the most insanely adorable fancy yet comfy BabyGap dresses. I wish I had dressed my girls up more when they were babies. They were fall babies, so they spent a good amount of time in cozy footie jammies. That and, we never really had to go anywhere, so why bother dressing up?

School started last Thursday. The 2 older kids went off and into school as expected, and as expected my little one clung and cried like she'd never see me again. Her very capable first grade teacher handed her the class sign to distract her and sent her in to lead the rest of her class. A few more tears on day 2. Today, she went in like a champ. Fingers are crossed for another good day. I have a Squinky for her as a prize for being big, and more in a bag for additional bribery as the week goes on.

Sunday was Meg and Christopher's actual birthday. It was also the Constitution State Feis. Erin took 4 medals in the Light Jig, Reel, Slip Jig and HornPipe. Very exciting stuff. Especially since she got 2 gold medals, (her first time for that). The feis was held at an amusement park so we spent the rest of the day enjoying some good old fashioned family fun. Topped the day off with a traditional Carvel ice cream cake. 

Yesterday, Labor Day, Tom took Chris to a Yankee game and the girls and I went to the mall. The mall is a big deal for my kids because I never ever take them there. The highlight of the trip was a visit to the Pretzel Time kiosk for pretzel nuggets and fake cheese dip. Delish. We went to Claires, where unfortunately there were no "red-line" sales items, so we ended up paying full price for a pair of soccer ball earrings (too heavy for Erin's earlobes) and another disgusting, probably made in China and pthalate filled makeup kit. Yuck. It was a nice visit though, and I forced myself not to rush them, or snap at them, and just relax and enjoy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment